Wednesday, August 1, 2012

New Find: Aveeno Baby Mineral Block

I generally don't do product reviews (and rest assured none of them are sponsored) but when I find something that's particularly helpful to me for my autoimmune related issues I do try to share it.

Sun protection is very important for those of us with autoimmune disease.  Many autoimmune conditions are sun sensitive such as lupus and Sjogren's and getting too much sun can cause or make flares worse.  I, like many others with autoimmune disease take medications which can further increase sun senstivity such as plaquenil and steroids.  While I definitely love the summer and warm weather (my joints do too), it is a balancing act to enjoy the outdoors without getting too much sun and hurting my health.

One of the problems that I have had is finding a sunblock for my face that does not cause me to either break out in unflattering pimples or to get a rash from one of its ingredients.  Of course, it also has to do its job of protecting me from the sun.  Over the last few months, I have tried many and have finally found one that seems to do the trick for my face.  It is Aveeno Baby sunblock stick SPF 50+.  As the name suggests, it is actually made for babies over six months of age, which might be part of the reason it does not bother my sensitive skin!

The Aveeno is technically a mineral block or sunblock as opposed to a sunscreen and I have recently learned that there is a difference.  A mineral block or sunblock sits on the surface of the skin and is not chemical  based.  It usually contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. These are the active ingredients in the Aveeno Baby sunblock stick.  Generally, sunblocks are less likely to irritate sensitive skin.  Sunscreens on the other hand are chemical based and have to be absorbed into the skin in order to effectively block UVA and UVB rays.  The downside of sunblocks or mineral blocks like the Aveeno is that they do not always easily rub in.  The Aveeno does leave a white film and I do have to use a little elbow grease to blend it in so that it can't be seen.

The stick is compact, easily transportable, and fits in a purse or a pocket.  Because it is not a liquid, there is little risk of it spilling all over your things.  I carry it in my purse and reapply every couple of hours.

Here's a link to the site if you want more information:  http://www.aveeno.com/baby-care/np/lotion/baby/spf50









*I have no relationship with any of the companies whose products are mentioned in this post* 

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the help in finding a decent block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing! I have been having issues with finding appropriate sunblock lately; especially after a brutal outing today at an air show in 90+ temps. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete