Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Successful Vacation





I had a wonderful week away at the beach with my husband.  What made the week special was that I was healthy enough for the first time in three years to enjoy our vacation.  I was able to play tennis for short amounts of time and enjoy the beautiful beaches and scenery.  There is something very soothing and meditative about watching the ocean.

Not being in intense neurological pain this year on vacation was a gift.  I was wishing, hoping, and praying before our trip that this year we could please just enjoy ourselves--that I would not be relegated to bed most of the trip or suffering and trying to smile despite how horrible I felt. When you are in that much pain, time goes so slowly and this vacation went by quickly.  

We settled into a routine to help manage my fatigue and sun sensitivity.  We could do an activity in the morning and late afternoon, but in the middle of the day I needed to rest and stay inside out of the sun.

I truly felt like a kid again.  Some of my favorite parts of our time away were just playing pool frisbee with our friends and barbecuing in the evenings.  Yes, we were acting half our age even though we are all in our 30s.  And I found myself laughing again, well really I am a giggler, something that I had been able to do little of just a year or even 6 months ago.

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me ridiculously happy for you!! I can truly appreciate the value of having a vacation where you are not struggling the entire time to to get a little enjoyment out of it because you are feeling so lousy. Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was special for both of us and I hope we will have more vacations like it in the future. Your are right -- truly a blessing.

      Delete