Monday, June 10, 2013

Sometimes You Need (Gluten & Corn Free) Pancakes


This past weekend I was madly craving pancakes.  This sort of thing usually happens when I am taking post infusion steroids and my desire for carbohydrates goes up exponentially.  All I could think about  eating are those delicious butter and maple syrup topped treats.  Healthy, maybe not, but splurging is allowed sometimes.

While I certainly wouldn't mind heading out to a local diner and enjoying pancakes without any cooking involved, this is not feasible with my corn allergy and gluten sensitivity.  If I want pancakes, I have to make them myself and find, or at least adapt, a recipe that fits my allergy specifications.  Luckily, I found a simple recipe on allrecipes.com for rice based pancakes that calls for few ingredients all of which were in my pantry.   For me, less ingredients is my motto.  Less ingredients = less likely to have an allergic reaction and less room to make a catastrophic cooking mistake.   

The pancakes were super easy to make and tasted good too.  My father, who was in town visiting and also cannot have gluten, joined me in eating them.  He hadn't had pancakes for quite some time and definitely enjoyed this rare treat.  My husband who is lucky not to have any allergy restrictions also had some.  I figure it is always a good sign when someone who eats gluten has two helpings of a dish that is gluten-free.  It means it must pass the wheat-eaters taste test.

I topped my pancakes with plenty of butter and maple syrup to satisfy my increased appetite from steroids.  Maybe next time I'll have to add my corn-free and gluten-free chocolate chips to the recipe!

Rice Flour Pancakes. 
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup rice flour
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda * (Added for additional fluffiness)

Directions

1. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl with a whisk or hand mixer.  Add the milk, vegetable oil, and salt into the same bowl. Add and stir in the rice flour until no lumps remain.

2. Cover the bowl and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or in the refrigerator overnight.

3. Heat a lightly-oiled/buttered griddle or fry-pan over medium-high heat. Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto the griddle.  Add fruit or chocolate chips to pancake batter if desired.  Cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry. Flip and cook until browned on the other side.






  

2 comments:

  1. Would using a gluten-free all purpose baking flour work okay with this recipe, since it is what I have on hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it has no cornmeal or cornstarch or any multiple ingredient item that has corn in it and of course as long as you are not allergic or sensitive to any other ingredients. The amounts of other ingredients like eggs or water may need to be adjusted

      Delete